Adderall is a prescription drug commonly used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). It comes in various strengths and types, and therefore, can differ in appearance. Always talk to your doctor about specific dosing instructions (best time of day to take the medicine, whether or not you should take it with food, etc.) before starting treatment with Adderall.
What color are Adderall pills?
Below are the general explanations for what Adderall looks like. The information below comes from the FDA label and pertains to the non-extended release Adderall prescription.
- Adderall 5mg: white or off-white tablet
- Adderall 7.5mg and 10mg: blue tablet
- Adderall 12.5mg, 15mg, 20mg, 30mg: yellow tablet
For Adderall XR, the extended-release option, the following information also comes from the FDA label.
- Adderall XR 5mg, 10mg, 15mg: blue capsule
- Adderall XR 20mg, 25mg, 30mg: orange/reddish/yellow capsule
Adderall XR capsules can appear in two ways: both ends of the capsule are colored or one end is colored, while the other one is clear and the contents (beads) are visible. Please note that most Adderall XR capsules will also display the dosage amount and the name of the drug on the capsule.
How can you tell if Adderall XR is real?
It is critical that you only take Adderall as prescribed by a physician. Do not consume Adderall without the guidance of a doctor, as this could lead to serious health consequences.
Fake Adderall pills will appear white and rounded. They typically are not marked with numbers or letters, which usually indicate a medication’s dose amount and drug abbreviation.
What does Adderall do to your body?
For more information on how Adderall works, please visit our drug overview page.
More about Adderall
- Pregnancy Risks
- Adderall and Alcohol Interactions
- Adderall Alternatives
- Ritalin vs. Adderall
- Strattera vs. Adderall
- What does Adderall look like?
- Can you overdose on Adderall?
- Adderall for Depression
- Long-Term Effects of Adderall
- What is Adderall prescribed for?
- Is Adderall a stimulant?
- How Long Does Adderall Stay In Your System?