Drinking alcoholic beverages while taking this medication can result in negative reactions. Perhaps most dangerously, the combination of alcohol and albuterol could result in some negative cardiovascular-related side effects.
- Heart palpitations
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Tachycardia (fast heartbeat)
- Changes in blood pressure
- Peripheral vasodilation (relaxing and widening of certain blood vessels)
- Changes in EKG results (prolongation of QT interval, T wave flattening, etc.)
These negative side effects result when adrenergic bronchodilators like albuterol/salbutamol stimulate cardiovascular receptors, in particular receptors beta- 1 and beta- 2.