Below are the general guidelines for dosing Ozempic (semaglutide). Note that these dosages may be adjusted on a case-by-case basis for individual patients. Always follow your prescribing physician’s instructions for taking Ozempic.
The following information comes from DailyMed, an FDA label information provider.
What if I miss a dose of Ozempic?
If you miss a dose of this medicine, take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not double doses.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as possible within 5 days after your missed dose. If you miss a dose for more than 5 days, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule.
What if I overdose on Ozempic?
In the event of overdose, appropriate supportive treatment should be initiated according to the patient’s clinical signs and symptoms. A prolonged period of observation and treatment for these symptoms may be necessary, taking into account the long half-life of Ozempic of approximately 1 week.
How is Ozempic administered?
- Start OZEMPIC with a 0.25 mg subcutaneous injection once weekly for 4 weeks. The 0.25 mg dose is intended for treatment initiation and is not effective for glycemic control.
- After 4 weeks on the 0.25 mg dose, increase the dosage to 0.5 mg once weekly.
- If additional glycemic control is needed after at least 4 weeks on the 0.5 mg dose, the dosage may be increased to 1 mg once weekly. The maximum recommended dosage is 1 mg once weekly.
- Administer OZEMPIC once weekly, on the same day each week, at any time of the day, with or without meals.
- The day of weekly administration can be changed if necessary as long as the time between two doses is at least 2 days (>48 hours).
- If a dose is missed, administer OZEMPIC as soon as possible within 5 days after the missed dose. If more than 5 days have passed, skip the missed dose and administer the next dose on the regularly scheduled day. In each case, patients can then resume their regular once-weekly dosing schedule.
Important Administration Instructions
- Administer OZEMPIC subcutaneously to the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm. Instruct patients to use a different injection site each week when injecting in the same body region.
- Inspect OZEMPIC visually before use. It should appear clear and colorless. Do not use OZEMPIC if particulate matter and coloration are seen.
- When using OZEMPIC with insulin, instruct patients to administer as separate injections and to never mix the products. It is acceptable to inject OZEMPIC and insulin in the same body region, but the injections should not be adjacent to each other.
How is Ozempic supplied?
- Ozempic injection is supplied as a clear, colorless solution that contains 2 mg of semaglutide in a 1.5 mL (1.34 mg/mL) pre-filled, disposable, single-patient-use pen injector in the following packaging configurations: Carton of 1 Pen (NDC 0169-4132-12)
- The pen delivers doses of 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection•6 NovoFine® Plus needles
- Intended for treatment initiation at the 0.25 mg dose and maintenance treatment at the 0.5 mg dose Carton of 2 Pens (NDC 0169-4136-02)
- The pen delivers doses of 1 mg per injection•4 NovoFine® Plus needles
- Intended for maintenance treatment at the 1 mg dose only
Each OZEMPIC pen is for use by a single patient. An OZEMPIC pen must never be shared between patients, even if the needle is changed.
Prior to first use, Ozempic should be stored in a refrigerator between 36ºF to 46ºF (2ºC to 8ºC) (Table 9). Do not store in the freezer or directly adjacent to the refrigerator cooling element. Do not freeze Ozempic and do not use Ozempic if it has been frozen.
After the first use of the Ozempic pen, the pen can be stored for 56 days at controlled room temperature (59°F to 86°F; 15°C to 30°C) or in a refrigerator (36°F to 46°F; 2°C to 8°C). Do not freeze. Keep the pen cap on when not in use. Ozempic should be protected from excessive heat and sunlight.
Always remove and safely discard the needle after each injection and store the Ozempic pen without an injection needle attached. Always use a new needle for each injection.
The storage conditions are summarized in Table 9: Table 9. Recommended Storage Conditions for the Ozempic Pen.
|Prior to first use||After first use|
|Refrigerated36°F to 46°F(2°C to 8°C)||Room Temperature59°F to 86°F(15°C to 30°C)||Refrigerated36°F to 46°F(2°C to 8°C)|
|Until expiration date||56 days|