Dosage for Dupixent depends on the patient’s age and weight. Dupixent injection is for use in adults or children who are at least 6 years old, according to the manufacturer’s website.
As with all medications, Dupixent may cause side effects.
The recommended dose of Dupixent for treating eczema in adult patients is an initial dose of 600 mg in the form of two 300 mg injections, followed by a single 300 mg injection given every other week.
Doses for pediatric and adolescent patients depend on body weight. The manufacturer recommends the following doses for pediatric patients younger than 12 years:
- For patients weighing 15 kg to 30 kg – initial dose of 600 mg delivered in two 300 mg injections, with subsequent doses of 300 mg given every four weeks
- For patients weighing 30 kg to 60 kg – initial dose of 400 mg delivered in two 200 mg injections, with subsequent doses of 200 mg given every two weeks
- For patients weighing 60 kg or more – initial dose of 600 mg delivered in two 300 mg injections, with subsequent doses of 300 mg given every two weeks
The FDA lists the most common side effects of Dupixent, which include:
- Reactions at the injection site
- Eye and eyelid inflammation that causes redness, swelling, and itching
- Pain in the throat, also known as oropharyngeal pain
- Cold sores in the mouth or on lips (only if you’ve already been exposed to the herpes simplex virus)
Can Dupixent treat eczema?
Yes. In fact, Dupixent was the first biologic medicine the FDA approved for the treatment of eczema.
How fast does Dupixent for eczema work?
This medication is a long-term therapy that can take several weeks to provide full benefits. Doctors review patients after 16 weeks to determine how effective this treatment is.
How much does Dupixent cost?
The list price of Dupixent is $3,110.09 per carton, according to the manufacturer’s website. That price means that most consumers will not pay that price because of insurance coverage. Approximately 68 percent of commercially insured patients pay between zero and $100 per month.
What are the side effects of Dupixent?
For more information, please see our page on Dupixent side effects.