Energy drinks have gone a long way from sugary, palpitation-causing beverages to great-tasting boosters that give out important health benefits. Celsius is one such energy drink, promising to help burn calories by boosting your metabolism. But is Celsius good for you? Let’s find out here.
What You Need To Know About Celsius
Founded in 2004 by Steve Haley, Celsius is an energy drink that steers clear from the standard notion of an energy drink, priding itself in using only healthy, scientifically-backed ingredients like ginger root, guarana, green tea, and 7 essential vitamins. The drinks are also free from sugar, additives, and other artificial preservatives, colors, or flavors. That way, Celsius claims it helps boost energy levels more effectively without the crashes and supplies the body with additional nutrients.
Is Celsius Good For You? Benefits Of Celsius For The Body
As an energy drink, Celsius aims to boost energy levels, accelerate metabolism, and shed off body fat, which would make it an ideal energy booster whenever you’re doing workouts at the gym, playing sports, or simply going about your daily activities.
Celsius touts its ingredient blend as formulated to activate thermogenesis, a natural process in the body where organisms burn calories to generate heat, which as a result, should help you lose weight faster. During exercise, the body’s temperature rises, which already burns fat, with Celsius, it boosts the process further, burning more fat as a result.
- Celsius Heat
- Celsius BCAA
- Celsius On-The-Go
- Green tea extract – Green tea extract is best known for promoting weight loss, regulating blood sugar, preventing diseases, and exercise recovery. It keeps the liver healthy, improves skin health, boosts metabolism levels, and improves brain functions.
- Guarana seed – Often added to energy and weight loss products, guarana seed extract is said to aid in weight loss, enhance athletic performance, serve as a stimulant, and reduce mental and physical fatigue. Additionally, guarana seeds contain over twice the amount of caffeine than the average coffee bean.
- Ginger root – RIch in antioxidants, the ginger root contains compounds that prevent stress and damage your body’s DNA. These help your body fight off chronic diseases like high blood pressure and heart and lung diseases and promote healthy aging. Its spicy flavor is known to help support the process of thermogenesis and create a positive effect on digestive systems.
- Chromium – Chromium is an essential trace mineral that can stabilize blood sugar levels and helps enhance proteins, carbohydrate, and lipid metabolism. One study found it beneficial in reducing hunger and food cravings, making it effective in weight loss.
- Vitamin B – The B vitamins are important for ensuring that the body’s cells function properly and help the body metabolize carbohydrates, proteins, and fats and use the stored energy in food. They help you recover from fatigue by supporting the adrenal glands.
- Vitamin C – Ascorbic acid is essential for the growth, development, and repair of all body tissues. This water-soluble vitamin is best known for supporting a healthy immune system by supporting various cellular functions of both the innate and adaptive immune systems.
- Glucuronolactone – A chemical commonly used as an ingredient in “energy” drinks to increase one’s physical performance and stamina, improve mood, and reduce mental fatigue.
- Taurine – Taurine plays an important role in promoting metabolism and digestion, as it helps the liver create bile salts. It boosts performance, fights brain aging, and protects the musculoskeletal system.
- Caffeine – Caffeine can help improve one’s memory, decrease fatigue, and improve cognitive abilities. It’s also a rich source of antioxidants, which help protect the cells from free radicals and prevent the risk of various diseases.
Pros & Cons
- Contains natural ingredients
- No preservatives, additives, and high fructose corn syrup
- 100% kosher
- 100% vegan
- No added sugars
- Improves workout performance
- Available both in online stores and also in popular retail stores.
- The amount of caffeine is considerably high.
- Certain flavors and tastes might not be agreeable to some
- May cause some side effects
While Celsius can be an effective energy booster, it’s never a go-signal to have one can too many since, with its ingredient blend considered, it can still cause a few side effects.
In general, drinking too many energy drinks in general often results in headaches, hypertension, nausea, vomiting, and tremors. In some cases, it even causes liver injury/damage.
If you have a low tolerance for caffeine, you might want to drink Celsius in moderation or simply avoid it altogether. The FDA recommends that an adult can consume up to 400 mg of caffeine a day, which is equivalent to 4 cups of coffee. A can of Celsius contains 200 mg of caffeine, which is quite high for an energy drink despite being under the prescribed daily amount. In fact, Celsius contains more caffeine than other energy drink brands like Monster (160 mg) or Red Bull (80 mg), and if we count in the caffeine found in green tea and guarana seed extracts, the caffeine content becomes much higher.
Celsius also contains a sweetener called sucralose, which is several times sweeter than regular sugar despite being low in calories. Taking too much sucralose can result in digestive issues, high blood sugar levels, and even addiction.
Pregnant women should also avoid drinking Celsius for its caffeine content. The caffeine might interfere with children’s growth, cause sleep disturbances, and constrict blood vessels in the uterus and placenta.
While it’s safer for lactating women to take smaller amounts of caffeine, there’s still the risk of transferring its unfavorable effects to their newborns. Sensitive babies tend to become fussy after drinking milk with traces of caffeine.
How much Celsius can I drink in a day?
Due to its caffeine amount and sucralose content, limit yourself to one (1) can of Celsius energy drink per day. You can take it with a meal and in place of a sugary drink.
When’s the best time to drink Celsius?
The ideal time to take Celsius is preferably 15 minutes before starting a workout and should be taken at least 5 hours or more before bedtime, so it does not interrupt sleep.
Celsius is redefining energy drinks with its revolutionary ingredient blend, benefits, and great taste, all the factors you’re looking for in an ideal pre-workout drink.
But drinking it alone without a healthy diet and proper exercise would not yield the results you want and may even cause some health problems if you drink one too many, so It’s important to always take them as prescribed and with caution.