Joint function is a primordial part of one’s overall physical health. Once affected, it negatively impacts a person’s ability to move around, and their quality of living depletes as a result. Thankfully joint supplements are readily available to reverse symptoms and promote long-term joint health,
But what is the most effective joint supplement for you? Today, we’re rolling out some of the best joint health supplements to help you narrow down the best one for your health needs.
- Top 5 Joint Supplements
- Understanding Joint Pain and Its Causes
- The Science Behind Joint Supplements
- Best Joint Supplements – The List
- Choosing the Best Supplement for Joint Pain
- How to Use Joint Supplements Safely
- Other Ways to Support Joint Health
- FAQ: Answering Your Joint Supplement Queries
Understanding Joint Pain and Its Causes
Joint pain is a common condition that refers to discomfort or soreness in any of the body’s joints in the shoulders, hips, elbows, and knees. It’s usually caused by the following factors:
Common Causes of Joint Pain
- Overuse – Repetitive motions in certain professions can contribute to joint pain. One study shows that people working in professions like mining, construction work, and carpentry, given the repetitive minutia of activity, often suffer overuse injuries in the joints, particularly in the knees, and often lead to cartilage damage.
- Inflammation – Inflammation is a normal part of the body’s healing process where the immune system sends inflammatory cells and cytokines to fight against bacteria, infections, injuries, allergens, or organisms that cause diseases, and this response results in symptoms like pain, swelling, and tenderness.
- Osteoarthritis – A degenerative disease that wastes away the cartilage of the joints, especially those in the spine, hips, knees, and hands, making mobility and daily life difficult and painful. The World Health Organization showed that in 2019, about 528 million people worldwide lived with osteoarthritis.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – An autoimmune disease where the synovial membrane that covers the knee joint swells, resulting in knee pain and stiffness. The pain can range from mild and throbbing to intense and sharp.
- Injuries – Various injuries like ligament and tendon injuries and injured meniscus often cause joint pain and discomfort. Bone fractures, sprains, and dislocations can also cause occasional pain.
The Science Behind Joint Supplements
If you have joint pain or arthritis, healthcare providers often prescribe medications and supplements as a first recourse to help with joint pain symptoms. The benefits of dietary supplements for joint pain, stiffness, and other symptoms have been studied many times over and are backed by scientific research.
Not only do supplements relieve joint pain and stiffness, but they also prevent cartilage degradation and promote the formation of new cartilage. Damaged cartilage is also a known factor in joint pain and can limit overall mobility.
Best Joint Supplements – The List
Physio Flex Pro is a research-based formulation that includes select naturally-occurring compounds – bromelain, chondroitin, and selenium citrate, all clinically proven to support the protection and repair of key connective tissues and cartilage, lubricate the joints to restore mobility and flexibility and relieve pain and inflammation.
Other ingredients, such as glucosamine, ginger, turmeric, and methylsulfonylmethane, have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects that promote better bone and joint health, regenerate damaged cartilage, and other health benefits.
Physio Flex Pro exclusively uses lab-tested A-1 grade GMO-free active ingredients carefully extracted from natural sources. All batches are made without soy, additives, bulk, and fillers in cGMP-approved, FDA-registered facilities.
Take two capsules daily with food, preferably on separate meals.
Read our full Physio Flex Pro review
Live Conscious’ MoveWell Plus powerful ingredient blend contains the clinically-proven Zanthin® Natural Astaxanthin – specially formulated to help decrease oxidative problems and improve joint health, including mobility and flexibility.
Movewell uses ethically sourced omega-3 fatty acids extracted from krill oil and hyaluronic acid, which are powerful and highly absorbable ingredients that work together to inhibit oxidative stress, prevent inflammation, restore lubrication, repair and regenerate cartilage, and improve overall joint and bone health.
Take 1 soft gel capsule daily with a meal and 8 oz of water.
MoveMD Comprehensive Joint Support is a joint pain supplement that offers the latest in joint health science to help you last through the day flexibly and comfortably, featuring two key patented ingredients – AprèsFlex® and Zanthin® Natural Astaxanthin, both effective in promoting joint health.
Being a bio-enhanced form of boswellic acid, AprèsFlex is clinically proven to restore joint health, reduce inflammation, and relieve joint pain and stiffness. Zanthin, on the other hand, effectively reduces oxidative stress.
MoveMD also features its eggshell membrane and chicken collagen formulas, ingredients that reinforce joint mobility and flexibility.
Take one (1) capsule daily, with or without food, or as a healthcare practitioner recommends.
Essential Elements’ Glucosamine Chondroitin joint supplement aims to restore and strengthen joint health by promoting optimal joint flexibility and mobility, maintaining lubrication, and regenerating joint cartilage.
The titular ingredients – glucosamine and chondroitin, help promote a dual support system for healthy joint cushioning by regenerating the cartilage to keep joints moving smoothly and comfortably.
Other important ingredients like hyaluronic acid, curcuminoids, methylsulfonylmethane, and Boswellin® Super restore optimal joint flexibility, relieve pain and stiffness, and prevent inflammatory flare-ups.
Take 3 capsules a day spread throughout the day’s meals.
Osteo Bi-Flex aims to improve joint health in as fast as 7 days, thanks to its Joint Shield™ 5-LOXIN Advanced® formula, a highly concentrated herbal extract that reduces joint problems like pain, stiffness, and damaged cartilage.
The supplement’s two other principal ingredients — CurQfen® and Vitamin D, reinforce joint health by providing essential benefits. CurQfen, a dietary fiber blend of curcumin and fenugreek, reduces arthritis symptoms and inhibits inflammatory activity, while vitamin D helps restore mobility and joint function.
Take one (1) capsule daily, with or without food, or as a healthcare practitioner recommends.
Choosing the Best Supplement for Joint Pain
Consider the following factors when choosing an OTC supplement for joint pains:
- Severity – Certain medications may be stronger or more potent than others to combat varying pain levels. You may be prescribed milder or stronger supplements based on the severity of the pain you may be experiencing.
- Individual health conditions – Make sure that the supplement your choice fits your health needs and doesn’t affect any pre-existing health conditions. Check if they interact with any medications you might be taking.
- Dietary preferences and restrictions – Opt for supplements that fit certain diets you may be following. (e.g., vegan, vegetarian, keto, paleo). Be wary of supplements containing certain ingredients you may be allergic to.
- Price – Always check if the product price fits well into your budget. Opt for subscription plans that offer freebies and discounts.
Key Ingredients in Joint Supplements
- Glucosamine – Glucosamine is a naturally occurring amino acid with anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve pain, improve muscle function, and increase mobility, making it a common ingredient used for treating osteoarthritis, particularly knee osteoarthritis.
- Chondroitin – Often paired with glucosamine, chondroitin is made of amino acids and glucosamine sulfate. It helps protect the cartilage in joints, prevents it from suffering further damage, and provides pain relief. It treats osteoarthritis and inhibits enzymes that contribute to cartilage degradation.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) – Methylsulfonylmethane is an organic compound containing sulfur found in green plants, animals, and humans. Studies attest to its efficacy in relieving joint inflammation, protecting the cartilage, and forming connective tissues.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids – Omega-3 fatty acids are essential fats, meaning the body can’t make them independently but must get them from dietary sources. They have been shown to have various health benefits, like promoting joint health, particularly by managing rheumatoid arthritis symptoms.
- Bromelain – An enzyme with natural anti-inflammatory properties extracted from pineapple stems. Various studies show its effectiveness in combatting osteoarthritis symptoms by reducing swelling/tenderness, restoring joint mobility, and relieving pain.
- Turmeric/Curcumin – Aside from its culinary use, turmeric’s numerous medicinal purposes have been widely studied, which it owes to curcumin, the substance that also gives it its rich yellow hue and flavor. Its potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties fight joint-related problems.
- Hyaluronic Acid – Hyaluronic acid helps promote cell and tissue growth, ensuring joint cartilage and bone growth and development. It also provides quick and effective pain relief from aching joints.
- Collagen – Collagen is a protein composed of amino acids found in the bones, muscles, and blood and is mainly responsible for the skin’s elasticity and provides structural support to the extracellular space of connective tissues. It’s also vital in maintaining healthy joints.
Ingredient Comparison of the Top 5
Scientific Studies and Data
Scientific studies back up the effectiveness of medications, ingredients, and other compounds claiming to benefit joint health. One study found glucosamine, a naturally occurring compound, effective in relieving pain caused by osteoarthritis among its test subjects. However, further studies are needed to solidify its claims.
Other studies also show that combining certain ingredients or medications can increase efficiency. One study highlighted the heightened effects of pairing nutraceutical supplementation with symptomatic treatments (NSAIDs, COX-2 inhibitors, and analgesics) in helping improve pain and physical function in knee/hip osteoarthritis patients.
Everyone has a different response to medications and supplements, and joint supplements could take weeks to months of consistent usage to show effects, so don’t fret if you don’t experience immediate results. Continue the regimen as you normally would and track your progress and changes.
Before starting any supplement regimen, it’s always important to consult your trusted healthcare provider to help discuss and weigh your options to help make joint pain supplementation more efficient.
How to Use Joint Supplements Safely
Recommended Dosage & Timing
Always follow the recommended dosage on the supplement packaging or your healthcare provider recommends. Taking more than the recommended dosage doesn’t increase its effectiveness and can lead to side effects.
Certain ingredients may interact with any medication you might be currently taking:
No known interactions
Omega-3 fatty acids
- Blood thinning medications
- Cholesterol-lowering medications
- Non-steroidal inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Anti-diabetes medications
- Anti-tumor medications
- Anti-cancer medications
No known interactions
No known interactions
Other Ways to Support Joint Health
Eat A Healthy Diet
Maintaining a good, healthy diet helps you get rid of those excess fats but also ultimately helps reduce the effects of osteoarthritis in the joints. Start incorporating foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and calcium into your meals; foods like oily fish like salmon, sardines, dairy, garlic, and dark leafy greens, works wonders in fighting off infection and inflammation.
Avoid heavily-processed, artificially-flavored foods and beverages to prevent inflammation. Eating foods high in fats, sugars, grains, and other carbohydrates can activate pro-inflammatory substances and result in weight gain, which can strain the joints.
Physical therapy is a popular treatment for joint conditions, which helps improve strength and flexibility in the knee and helps prevent future injuries. Physical therapists usually recommend exercise plans for knee and hip osteoarthritis to strengthen the hip muscles and restore knee function.
Regular low-impact exercises like brisk walking, swimming, cycling, or yoga can help strengthen the muscles around your joints and improve joint mobility and flexibility.
Get Enough Rest
The daily grind can take a toll on your joints if you don’t get enough rest after strenuous work activity. Getting enough rest daily and at night helps the body recover from knee pain flare-ups and symptoms.
The body’s stress response fires up the immune system’s inflammatory response when under stress. Experts agree that relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, yoga, meditation, tai chi, and exercise can mitigate joint tension. Even something as simple as sitting quietly for a few minutes and deep breathing can make your body calmer.
FAQ: Answering Your Joint Supplement Queries
What is the best natural supplement for joint pain?
Natural compounds and ingredients like omega-3 fatty acids, curcuminoids, and bromelain are typically deemed to be the most effective ingredients for joint pain.
How long does it take for joint supplements to work?
There is no fixed time for optimal results since everyone has an individual response to medications/supplements. However, in most cases, it may take around a month to see noticeable changes.
Can I take multiple joint supplements together?
Taking multiple supplements, in general, isn’t advised or recommended. It can reduce absorption and result in adverse interactions and other side effects, harming your health.
Are there any dietary sources that support joint health?
In your diet, foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and calcium help fight infection and inflammation that cause joint problems.
- When a person’s joint health is compromised by pain or inflammation, it can severely affect their mobility and to an extent, their quality of living.
- Taking various supplements containing anti-inflammatory and antioxidant-rich ingredients can help alleviate and reverse the effects of joint inflammation.
Joint health is paramount to our overall well-being and quality of life. While joint issues can hinder mobility, there are a plethora of supplements available to address these challenges. Notably, Physio Flex Pro stood out as our top pick among the joint supplements reviewed.
However, it’s essential to remember that while supplements can offer relief, maintaining a balanced diet and an active lifestyle remains the cornerstone of optimal joint health. If you’re grappling with joint discomfort or related issues, always seek guidance from a healthcare professional to ensure you’re on the right path to recovery.