Druggenius.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
Beef liver isn’t just for having an interesting, tasty meal, but it’s also packed full of many health benefits. There are also other ways to enjoy its benefits, such as in supplement form. So for this article, we’ll be breaking down some of the best beef liver supplements available on the market.
- Top 4 Beef Liver Supplements
- Eating Animal Liver? Is It Good For You?
- Best Beef Liver Supplements – The List
- 1. Peak Performance Beef Liver Capsules
- Peak Performance Beef Liver Capsules – What Customers Have To Say
- 2. Enviromedica Pastured Beef Liver
- 3. Vital Proteins Beef Liver Supplement
- 4. Ancestral Supplements GrassFed Beef Liver
- Ancestral Supplement’s GrassFed Beef Liver Capsules – What Customers Have To Say
- Benefits of Beef Liver Supplementation
- Side Effects
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Take
- Related Articles
Top 4 Beef Liver Supplements
Eating Animal Liver? Is It Good For You?
Animal liver has been consumed as food by humans for centuries. Livers of mammals, fowl, and fish like pork, lamb, veal, beef, chicken, goose, and cod livers are widely available from butchers and supermarkets. In some European countries, livers of stingrays and burbots are sold and form part of local cuisines.
If you can’t get your hands on raw beef liver to add to your diet or that sounds a bit daunting, you could look into supplementation. Each of the beef liver supplements we have included in the list below will allow you to incorporate the benefits into your daily routine, in the most straightforward way.
Best Beef Liver Supplements – The List
1. Peak Performance Beef Liver Capsules
With Peak Performance Beef Liver Capsules, you’ll get a nutrient-dense superfood sourced from 100% grass-fed Beef that is desiccated to preserve and contain all heat-sensitive nutrients.
This beef liver supplement offers the all vitamins, minerals, and amino acids that beef liver offers so that the body enjoys optimal immune, energy, and adrenal support, as well as ideal skin and joint health, making it ideal for those who want to achieve high performance in their game, whether they’re professionals, athletes, students, or even stay-at-home parents.
Peak Performance steers clear from hormone-treated beef and manufactures without any antibiotics, fillers, growth hormones, steroids, pesticides, gluten, soy, GMO, artificial or refined sugars.
Also, for every purchase, Peak Performance supplies malnourished with vitamins for 1 year through their partnership with the nonprofit Vitamin Angels.
- Sources grass-fed beef
- Contains no pesticides, fillers, or hormones
- 100% gluten and soy-free
- No artificial sugars
- Agreeable taste
- Third-party tested
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- 1-for-1 donation to Vitamin Angels
- The odor might not be pleasing to everyone
Peak Performance Beef Liver Capsules – What Customers Have To Say
Here are some reviews from customers regarding their experience with the supplement:
“I love that the ingredients are pure and there are no fillers or additives. Love that my purchase is also helping children in other countries gain access to vitamins. Just a few days in, and I can feel the difference in my joints – they just feel more lubricated and less achy.” – Elizabeth
2. Enviromedica Pastured Beef Liver
Be on the top of your game with Enviromedica’s Pastured Beef Liver. This supplement provides nutrients that are the synergistic building blocks to support metabolic, immune, liver, skin, eye, reproductive, and mental health.
Beef liver is an excellent source of protein and preformed vitamin A. It also provides you with B-complex vitamins, choline, biotin, iron, copper, zinc, folate, and fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, E, K). This powerful ingredient blend will naturally boost energy levels and heighten your cognitive abilities, allowing you to maximize your productivity.
Enviromedica sources strictly grass-fed livestock raised in New Zealand. The beef liver is then gently freeze-dried to maintain biological activity and preserve heat-sensitive nutrients. It’s also free from dairy, gluten, sugar, soy, shellfish, nuts, fillers, or preservatives.
- Made in the USA
- Uses grass-fed bovine from New Zealand
- Dairy, gluten, sugar, soy, nut, and shellfish-free
- No preservatives or fillers
- 100% freeze-dried to preserve nutrients
- Easy to swallow
- No aftertaste
- A bit expensive compared to other brands
- May take some time to yield visible results
3. Vital Proteins Beef Liver Supplement
iHerb’s Vital Proteins Beef Liver supplements give your skin and hair the much-needed care and boost they need while providing your body with the necessary nutrients to help you make the most out of your day.
This particular beef liver supplement stands out because it packs 3.5x more vitamin B12, 22% more copper, and 167% more vitamin A than similar brands. This ensures higher efficiency in delivering healthier hair, better skin, firmer nails, and stronger bones. It also aids in energy-boosting and improving brain functions.
To ensure a natural, high quality, and effective source of beef liver, iHerb grass-fed cows from New Zealand. If you’re not into swallowing the capsules, you can also mix them into beverages like juice or tea or sprinkle them on your food to disguise the taste.
- Made in the USA
- Offers higher nutrient content
- Sources exclusively grass-fed livestock from New Zealand
- Freeze-dried to preserve nutrients
- Dairy and gluten-free
- No aftertaste
- Some people may find the capsules harder to swallow compared to others
- Mild side effects could occur
4. Ancestral Supplements GrassFed Beef Liver
Ancestral Supplement’s GrassFed Beef Liver supplement prides itself on sourcing grass-fed and grass-finished cows raised in New Zealand & Australia to ensure maximum quality and efficiency of the beef liver used.
The supplement provides all the necessary vitamins, nutrients, and minerals such as vitamin B12, choline, iron, folate, hyaluronic acid, copper, zinc, chromium, and fat-soluble vitamins (A, D, K & E), which all work together to support healthy teeth, gums, skin, and hair, boost the immune system, energy, mood, metabolism, and methylation, strengthen joints, connective tissue, and healthy collagen production, and maintain heart, brain, and liver health.
The product is also freeze-dried to preserve all heat-sensitive nutrients, co-factors, and biological activity to ensure optimal effectiveness. Additionally, the supplement is GMO-free and doesn’t contain hormones, pesticides, fillers, flow agents, and magnesium stearate.
- Sources grass-fed & grass-finished cows raised in New Zealand & Australia
- Hormone, pesticide & GMO-free
- Uses no fillers or flow agents
- 100% freeze-fried & non-defatted
- Third-party tested for purity
- A bit more expensive compared to other brands
- May cause certain side effects like stomach troubles, constipation, nausea, and heartburn in people with health conditions.
Ancestral Supplement’s GrassFed Beef Liver Capsules – What Customers Have To Say
Here are some reviews from customers regarding their experience with the supplement.
“For months, I was having issues with major hair loss (thyroid and other labs were normal). My doctor was at a loss. I was losing handfuls of hair in the shower and I actually “developed” a bald spot and chopped my long hair to chin length. It might sound vain, but this was very depressing for me. I am ecstatic to report that after taking your supplements along with collagen powder, my hair has stopped falling out and I have a ton of new growth. I am telling everyone about your products. I also notice increased energy and mental clarity as well. I feel like myself again.” – Rebecca
Benefits of Beef Liver Supplementation
Eating animal liver is a good way to help you meet your daily recommended amount of vitamins and minerals and reduce the risk of nutrient deficiency.
Beef liver, in particular, is one of the best animal-based sources of vitamin A. It provides more than 100% of the body’s daily vitamin A requirement. Having sufficient amounts of vitamin A lowers the risk of conditions like respiratory tract infections and certain types of cancer. It’s also an excellent source of high-quality protein, as it provides all of the essential amino acids. In fact, over a quarter of beef liver is made up entirely of protein.
Beef liver also contains the following minerals essential for optimal health:
- Zinc – a nutrient that helps your immune system and metabolism function. Zinc is also essential in reducing inflammation, boosting immune health, reducing the risk of age-related diseases, facilitating faster wound healing, and preventing acne.
- Iron – the body needs iron for growth and development. It facilitates the production of hemoglobin and myoglobin, generates energy and focus, promotes gastrointestinal processes, boosts the immune system, and regulates the body temperature.
- Folate – a vital mineral in red blood cell formation and for healthy cell growth and function. The nutrient is especially important during the early stages of pregnancy to lower the risk of congenital disabilities in the brain and spine.
- Phosphorus aids in the formation of bone and teeth. It helps the body utilize carbohydrates and fats and facilitates protein production for the growth, maintenance, and repair of cells and tissues.
- Selenium – plays an important role in metabolism and thyroid function and helps protect the body from damage caused by oxidative stress. Selenium can also help boost the immune system and even reduce the risk of heart diseases and cognitive decline.
- Copper – a mineral essential for energy production. Like iron, it enables the body to form red blood cells. It helps maintain healthy bones, blood vessels, nerves, and immune function, contributing to iron absorption and cutting the risk of cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis.
While beef liver may be considered a superfood, not everyone can fully enjoy its benefits and may even experience adverse health effects, and the same can be said about taking beef liver supplements.
For example, since beef liver is rich in cholesterol and vitamin A, eating large portions of liver or consuming it every day is not recommended because it can cause a spike in your cholesterol levels and cause vitamin A toxicity. The latter can cause drowsiness, irritability, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, coarse hair, and alopecia of the eyebrows. It might also lead to liver damage.
Beef liver sometimes contains traces of antibiotics, which could be due to the cows receiving antibiotics around the time of their slaughter. It could be hazardous to human health and cause allergic reactions, anaphylaxis, and disruptions in the development of embryos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can beef liver supplements interact with other medications?
Some medications are known to interact with vitamin A, and since beef liver is a significant source of vitamin A, anyone taking medications such as acitretin, alitretinoin, bexarotene, cholestyramine, isotretinoin, tretinoin, or warfarin should consult with their physician first before taking beef liver either in food or in supplement form.
Can pregnant women take beef liver supplements?
While beef liver is rich in vitamin A and is important for fetal development, high doses of this vitamin can have negative health effects. For example, it can have teratogenic effects, disturbing the development of the embryo or fetus and even resulting in spontaneous abortion.
At any rate, pregnant or nursing mothers should consult a physician before taking this or any dietary supplement.
Is it safe for people with gout?
People with gout should avoid beef liver or red meat at all costs. Red meats like beef and pork contain more purines than white meats, and organ meats like the liver and tongue are particularly high in purines, and consuming them could increase uric acid levels and spurs a gout attack.
Beef liver is a nutrient-dense superfood that promises several potential health benefits, such as supporting the immune and nervous systems, boosting energy and mood, reducing inflammation, and lowering the risk of many diseases. However, taking too much of it can do more bad than good for your health, so it’s important to practice moderation at all times.
Before considering any beef liver supplement, always ask your doctor’s advice first to rule out any possible health risks and side effects.