Omeprazole is not the only drug that treats heartburn, ulcers, GERD, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
Potential Alternatives for Omeprazole
Other proton pump inhibitors
Other proton pump inhibitors include esomeprazole (Nexium), pantoprazole (Protonix), and lansoprazole (Prevacid).
Other antacids and non-proton pump inhibitor medicines
Others antacids and non-proton pump inhibitor drugs are Maalox, Mylanta, and Tums; ranitidine (Zantac), famotidine (Pepcid), and cimetidine (Tagamet) are H2 (histamine) receptor antagonists.
Non-medical alternatives that you can talk to your doctor about include:
- Hypnotherapy (clinical hypnosis)
- Herbal remedies, such as chamomile, ginger root, marshmallow root, and slippery elm
- Baking soda
- Chewing gum
- Aloe juice
- Avoiding certain foods that you notice may worsen GERD
However, scientific research on how effective these alternatives are is scarce.
Lifestyle changes can help, too. These changes may include:
- Quitting smoking
- Exercising regularly
- Sleeping on the left side
- Elevating the head and upper body while in bed
- Wearing loose-fitting clothing
- Eating smaller meals more often
- Reducing alcohol intake
- Avoid eating late at night before bed