Druggenius.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
While your favorite cup of coffee can charge you up for the day, the energy crashes and jitters that come after can be more exhausting than helpful. So today, we’re highlighting five energy-boosting products that could best serve as your alternative to caffeine for energy.
- Top 5 Caffeine Alternatives
- Alternatives to Caffeine – The List
- The Negative Effects Of Caffeine On The Body
Alternatives to Caffeine – The List
Check out these low/zero caffeine products that can give you a more effective energy boost to help you seize the day:
Feals Focus Melts is a natural alternative to caffeine that provides sustainable energy throughout the day and promotes restful sleep. It can help cut the vicious cycle of caffeine side effects like crashes, jitters, and sleeplessness, one melting tablet at a time.
Focus Melts’ main ingredient, tetracitrene, is a non-hemp-derived cannabinoid and naturally occurring compound made from citrus peels that provide a quick burst of focus, which kicks in within just 20-30 minutes. It also provides sustainable energy, sharpens concentration, and plays a role in appetite control to promote weight loss.
And unlike caffeinated products, Focus Melts provides enough energy without the body’s sleep circadian rhythms, promoting better sleep quality at bedtime.
Providing a safe way to focus is Feals’ priority. All products are manufactured in the United States with safe, scientifically-backed ingredients and tested by a third-party lab to ensure the utmost quality and efficacy.
- Uses natural,
- Made in the US
- 100% caffeine-free
- Free delivery & returns
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- A bit expensive considering its size
- It contains CBD – which some try to avoid
One review from the official Feals website said:
“I used to depend on energy drinks like Yerba Mate to get through the day but would always crash later on. Thanks to the Melts, I can stay authentically focused and energized even as the days turn to night. Working in a school, it’s important I’m able to show up in the best way for the kids. Taking a Melt mid-day allows me to gain that boost of energy and focus without any negative effect.” – Zachary H.
Real Mushrooms is a family-owned and operated business that has always prided itself in perfecting its unique formulas that use 100% pure, high-quality, and organic mushroom extracts scientifically proven to yield important health benefits.
Unlike certain brands that use myceliated grain (the mushroom’s root system) alternatives, their products contain no grains or starch fillers, just pure cordyceps mushrooms, which offer important health benefits like improved function, better cardiovascular health, and higher physical performance.
The brand values ingredient transparency and shows how every ingredient falls into place and serves its purpose. Each batch of mushrooms undergoes rigorous quality control tests and 3rd party verification to ensure their potency, safety, and effectiveness.
This product topped our recent list of the best cordyceps supplement.
- Uses pure mushroom extracts
- Synergy between ingredients
- Products are gluten-free, non-GMO, and vegan
- Conveniently sized for travel
- Easy to ingest
- Positive customer reviews from multiple online sources
- The taste might not be pleasing to some
- Some products might leave sediment.
A customer left this review on the official Real Mushrooms page:
“I started taking Cordyceps for its immunomodulating ability and have noticed a huge difference in my energy levels! I was quite tired before and had low motivation before but within a week I really noticed a positive shift. The quality of these supplements seems to be far superior to most others on the market.” – Allie
Liquid IV is an electrolyte drink mix that hydrates the body and directly provides nutrients like sodium, potassium, glucose, and B vitamins to your bloodstream. Thanks to the revolutionary science of Cellular Transport Technology® (CTT), its ingredient blend is designed to make the body absorb nutrients rapidly and effectively.
Just one stick of Liquid I.V. contains thrice as many the electrolytes of traditional sports drinks with 5 essential vitamins, provides faster hydration than drinking water alone, and significantly boosts your energy levels.
The company promotes a culture of sustainability by reducing waste production and greenhouse gas emissions and exclusively sourcing raw ingredients and packaging materials produced with the utmost respect to farmworkers and local communities while simultaneously protecting natural resources.
- Quality, all-natural ingredients
- Sources ingredients and partners with sustainable farms to reduce carbon footprints.
- Suitable for all diet types (Dairy-free, soy-free, gluten-free, and non-GMO)
- Innovative and responsible packaging
- Hydrates body cells a lot faster than water
- Eliminates hangovers
- Free domestic shipping
- A bit costly when purchased online
- Doesn’t ship internationally
- Some might consider the 11g of sugar excessive for their diets.
One review from the official Liquid I.V. site goes:
“I am absolutely in LOVE with this! I have recommended it to everyone i know. I’ve always had a problem with hydrating during a workout and making sure I’m keeping my energy level high. Liquid IV has been the missing piece I’ve been looking for, to replenish those energy sources. I’ve never felt better!…” – Lindsay C.
Nuzena’s Ashwagandha Pure + features a unique, organic blend of ashwagandha and black pepper, which can help relieve stress-related anxiety, promote thyroid health, and foster mental well-being.
Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic adaptogen rich in compounds called alkaloids that can help calm the brain, sharpen cognition, promote thyroid health, lower blood pressure, and strengthen the immune system. Ashwagandha is also known to boost energy levels and can increase sexual desire, pleasure, or performance.
On the other hand, black pepper can stimulate bioavailability, helping the body absorb nutrients better. This spice is also rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties and can benefit the brain, improve digestion, and stimulate weight loss.
Nuzena’s products are all made in the US inside an FDA-registered facility that adheres to GMP guidelines and undergoes stringent testing to ensure maximum quality and efficiency. The products also go through 3rd-party testing for heavy metals and other contaminations.
- Made with natural, sustainably sourced ingredients
- Free from contaminants and heavy metals
- Free personal health specialist consultation
- Offers free shipping for orders over $50
- Easy returns
- May take consistent usage before seeing optimal results.
One user review from the official Nuzena site said:
“I filled out the consultation and this was recommended to me, I had no clue what it was but I looked it up and gave it a try and I am so happy I did, I feel like I have a lot more energy throughout the day and sleep better.” – Maddie West
*low caffeine option*
RYZE Mushroom Coffee is a powdered mix blend of six functional adaptogenic mushrooms, organic Arabica coffee, and organic MCT (medium-chain triglycerides) oil. While it does contain a certain amount coffee, it’s considerably lower in caffeine and offers more nutrients.
A cup of RYZE contains just 48 mg of caffeine — the 2000 mg-strong adaptogenic mushroom blend contains cordyceps, reishi, king trumpet, shiitake, lion’s mane, and turkey tail and has a smooth, creamy, and distinct coffee flavor with unique earthy tones.
Unlike regular coffee, you won’t experience any energy crashes after drinking it or even hours later, and it gives you a steady flow of energy that will gradually go down at the day’s end, just in time for bedtime. It also provides sharper cognitive focus, increased energy, and immune support.
All mushrooms are harvested in California, organic arabica coffee beans are shade-grown in Mexico, while other ingredients are sourced from suppliers in the U.S. Once roasted and brewed, the coffee beans are spray-dried into a pure instant powder before being added to our formula.
- Uses purely organic ingredients
- 100% gluten-free
- 100% vegan
- No sweeteners or additives
- Less acidic than standard coffee.
- Instant powder mix makes it easier to stir.
- 1% of sales go to teaching mindfulness in schools.
- Provides free shipping.
- The earthy flavor might not be pleasing to some people.
- May take continuous intake to see visible results.
- Not a total coffee replacement – it still contains 48mg of caffeine from the arabica coffee beans.
- It only ships to the US and Canada.
One review from the Ryze website said:
“Just 8 simple ingredients. Coffee that provides the immune support, improved focus, boosted metabolism and ALL the energy I need to thrive in my Jiu Jitsu career and my day to day.” – John F.
The Negative Effects Of Caffeine On The Body
Many start their day with the earthy aroma and irresistible taste of a morning cup of joe. Its benefits, like increased mental focus, boosted energy, and weight loss properties, help people get through the day’s workload.
But it doesn’t always work well for all; some people become too dependent on coffee, resulting in addiction and many other health problems. Others experience insomnia, nervousness, restlessness, stomach upset, nausea, vomiting, increased heart rate, and breathing problems.
The energy spikes and crashes that come with drinking coffee can take a toll on one’s health and wear out your body. If you experience this regularly, you might be prone to various health issues. Studies show that drinking too much coffee could still lead to blood pressure issues, and high blood pressure can increase your risk of stroke or a heart attack.
Common Alternatives To Caffeine
Thankfully, alternatives with little to zero caffeine content are readily available for those who want to avoid caffeine.
- Chicory root – Chicory root is naturally caffeine-free, making it an excellent substitute for those who want to reduce their caffeine intake. Chicory contains manganese which has anti-oxidative properties that help improve blood flow to the brain and fight free radicals, and vitamin B6, which is essential for brain function.
- Tea – Tea variants like matcha, ginger, chai, peppermint, chamomile, and rooibos offer the same energy-boosting and brain-boosting benefits as coffee does, but with lesser amounts of caffeine.
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar is a caffeine-free alternative that can boost energy levels and has beneficial effects on blood sugar levels. It can also promote weight loss.
- Mushroom coffee – This alternative brings the classic aroma, flavor, and efficiency as a regular cup of coffee would, but with lesser caffeine content and without the usual coffee jitters and energy crashes. People create this drink by drying mushrooms, extracting their beneficial ingredients, and adding them to coffee.
Caffeine may offer important health benefits to help last a tough work day, but it’s not always the same for everyone. It may cause problems like energy crashes, restlessness, and sleep problems, so reducing your intake or switching to a caffeine alternative can make a big difference.
Low-caffeine/caffeine-free alternatives contain ingredients that deliver the same benefits without your energy levels crashing or causing sleeplessness. Others offer more for your health, like enhancing the immune system, improving brain function, and promoting better mental health. Ultimately, choosing an alternative should be aligned with your health/lifestyle needs.
When in doubt, you can always consult your healthcare provider or a dietitian to discuss your needs and preferences.