Druggenius.com is reader-supported. We may earn a commission through products purchased using links on this page. Learn more about our process here.
Nootropics are becoming increasingly popular in the health and fitness industry, and Onnit’s Alpha Brain Instant is one of the most popular nootropic-based supplements. But does it really live up to its reputation? Take a look at this Alpha Brain Instant review for more information
- Alpha Brain Vs. Alpha Brain Instant – What’s the difference?
- Alpha Brain Instant Blends
- Ingredients & Their Benefits
- Serving Instructions
- How quickly does Alpha Brain instant work?
- How often can you take Alpha Brain instant?
- Does Alpha Brain instant have caffeine?
What Is Alpha Brain Instant?
So you’re considering getting some Alpha Brain packets. Here’s a bit of info you need to know:
The product was the brainchild of the Fear Factor host, UFC commentator, and Onnit co-founder/spokesperson Joe Rogan in 2010. Alpha Brain Instant was designed as a nootropic-based dietary supplement to sharpen brain function, improve memory, aid mental processes, enhance focus, and help with the flow state — all without using caffeine or other stimulants.
Overall, it promises to help you achieve maximum productivity by “getting you in the zone” without the jitters and the crashes.
Alpha Brain Vs. Alpha Brain Instant – What’s the difference?
Onnit’s Alpha BRAIN is available in two forms — the original Alpha BRAIN, which is in capsule form, and Alpha BRAIN Instant, a drink mix powder made from the same formula used for the capsules. It was designed for those who want an alternative to swallowing capsules, and unlike most powdered supplements, it dissolves easily into water or any other beverage of your choice.
Alpha BRAIN Instant serves as an alternative for those who don’t like swallowing capsules or the bulk of carrying a pill bottle in your bag. It comes in portable packets that don’t take up a lot of space and lets you whip up a beverage anywhere.
See our full Alpha Brain review
Alpha Brain Instant Blends
Alpha Brain Instant has three different blends, each with a specific target performance.
- Onnit Flow Blend – Facilitates alpha brain wave production by providing amino acids and other plant compounds that promote alpha brain waves and optimal brain cell function.
- Onnit Focus Blend – The Focus blend helps achieve optimal levels of acetylcholine, the body’s chief neurotransmitter of the parasympathetic nervous system, which controls nerves, muscle cells, and hormonal glands.
- Onnit Fuel Blend – Targets optimal nervous system communication and helps protect nerve cells, synthesize protein, and promote cellular integrity.
Ingredients & Their Benefits
Each blend contains its own set of ingredients appropriate for its target effect, though all of them have these two:
- Vitamin B6 – This vitamin helps create neurotransmitters, which are important chemical messengers in the brain and also helps regulate energy use in the brain. Studies suggest that a lack of vitamin B6, especially among the elderly, can easily result in cognitive decline and dementia.
- Cat’s claw extract – A woody vine endemic in the Amazon rainforest and in Latin America whose extract has been shown to increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BNDF), fight inflammation and free radical damage, relieve depression and anxiety, and improve cognition and mental focus.
Onnit Focus Blend
- Alpha GPC – Alpha-glycerylphosphorylcholine helps release acetylcholine and promotes better learning and sharper memory, making it a popular supplement for Alzheimer’s disease and dementia patients.
- Huperzia Serrata – A herb traditionally used in Chinese medicine that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and neuroprotective effects. One study says that huperzine A, extracted from huperzia serrata, might improve memory and protect nerve cells, which in turn can slow down the cognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s.
- Bacopa monnieri extract – This herb formed part of traditional Ayurvedic medicine that increases certain brain chemicals involved in thinking, learning, and memory. Research also found that it can effectively alleviate stress and anxiety levels.
Onnit Fuel Blend
- L-Leucine – A branched-chain amino acid (BCAA) responsible for healing skin and bones, increasing muscle size, and boosting lean body mass through protein synthetization.
- Pterostilbene – A naturally-occurring polyphenol with anti-inflammatory, anticarcinogenic, and antioxidant properties which seem to offer neuroprotective benefits which prevent oxidative stress in the brain.
Onnit Flow Blend
- L-Theanine – An amino acid commonly found in green/black tea and some mushrooms. A 2019 Japanese study found it effective in relieving stress and anxiety and lowering one’s heart rate and blood pressure.
- L-Tyrosine – Like vitamin B6, l-tyrosine is also an essential component for the production of neurotransmitters. It helps the body build proteins in your body, sharpens brain function among young adults, and produces enzymes, thyroid hormones, and melanin.
- Phosphatidylserine – Phosphatidylserine is a phospholipid that covers and protects the cells in your brain and carries messages between them. Several studies show that it helps improve cognitive abilities and behaviors, making it a potential treatment for Alzheimer’s and similar diseases.
- Oat straw extract – This extract is sourced from the stems and leaves of the unripened Avena sativa plant. It has been shown to relieve stress and anxiety, and increase energy and libido levels. Research shows that regular supplementation of green oat extract significantly improved cognitive functions like memory, attention, and concentration.
Adults should take it as a dietary supplement, take one serving mixed with 8 ounces of cold water or mix it with a beverage of your choice. Best taken with a light meal. Do not take more than one packet within a 24-hour period.
Don’t take more than the recommended amount to avoid any allergic reactions. Store the packets properly in a cool, dry place to keep the ingredients effective and keep them out of reach of children.
Pros & Cons
- Contains promising, scientifically-backed ingredients
- Paleo and keto-friendly
- Free 15-day trial with a subscription order
- Free shipping on orders over $150
- Offers 15% discount for military, first responders, and medical providers
- Offers 10% off your first order when you sign up for Onnit’s email newsletter
- Lack of transparency about some valuable information
- A bit expensive compared to other similar products
- Can take some time to dissolve completely
- Causes minor side effects
Alpha Brain Instant Reviews – What Customers Have To Say
Here are some verified reviews from customers who’ve tried out Alpha Brain Instant. So far, it has received plenty of positive reviews:
“Truly enjoy this product and the mental clarity and alertness it provides for me. I take the instant in the morning and one of the alpha brain capsules mid-afternoon, which is a good fit for me. I have been taking alpha brain for several years and love the subtle yet noticeable effects.” -. Ripp
“You can tell the difference with any of the Alpha Brain products. I use these any time I have a heavy-loaded day, or it’s a sparring day. Provides focus and clarity throughout the day. The flavor has definitely been improved; I had the peach, which was definitely not what I was hoping for. The blackberry lemonade is completely different. Make the Alpha Brain experience perfect and enjoyable.” – Chaydt
“I must say, after trying the alpha brain instant, I was greatly impressed. I was skeptical but figured I would give it a shot. No jitters, no negative effects when it starts to wear off but is very smooth and keeps my cylinders firing all day. Doesn’t keep you awake when it’s time to shut off for the night. I highly recommend this product and will absolutely be getting more! It’s great to feel Onnit throughout the entire workday!” – User XRPhreak
“I’ve been taking AB for about 2 1/2 months, and I have no intention of stopping for the foreseeable future. My focus has been off the charts with work and guitar. I’ve always had trouble keeping random numbers in my head…I’ve told everyone about it, family and friends, alike…The capsules are good; very easy to take. The powder is where it’s at, specifically the Blackberry Lemonade.” – William I.
One user, however, commented about its dissolvability:
“I love it in this drink form rather than a pill. Only negative would be that not all of the powder dissolves and is left as a sediment in the bottom. It still is drinkable when swirled to make it mix.” – Ron G.
You can be assured that Alpha Brain Instant is safe to drink since the ingredients are clinically tested to be safe and free from harmful substances. But that’s not to say they won’t cause some minor bumps along the way.
While nootropics have promising health benefits, they tend to cause some side effects among certain people, especially those new to taking them.
For example, you can feel nauseous after taking Alpha Brain Instant, especially on an empty stomach. Since nootropics promote wakefulness, consuming them late in the afternoon or at night can disrupt a good night’s sleep.
Stomach troubles occur if one takes too much beyond the recommended amount. Other side effects include headaches and minor vision problems.
If you take Alpha Brain simultaneously with other supplements, medications, or things like energy drinks, you might experience certain side effects, so it’s important to take them some hours before or after drinking the supplement to prevent interactions.
If you are pregnant, nursing, have or suspect a medical condition, or are taking any medications, it’s important to consult a medical doctor first before taking this product to rule out possible health problems in the long run.
How quickly does Alpha Brain instant work?
You should start to feel increased sharpness within 30 minutes.
How often can you take Alpha Brain instant?
You should only take one packet per day. Do not take more than one packet in any 24-hour period.
Does Alpha Brain instant have caffeine?
No, Alpha Brain Instant is completely caffeine-free which helps prevent the jitters and energy crash common with supplements containing caffeine.
Taking a nootropic-based supplement like Alpha Brain Instant is a great way to kickstart the day. Reviews rave about how it can sharpen the mind, improve memory, and keep you stay focused on your game without using caffeine or other stimulants. Not only that, it helps you build muscle mass and relieves stress too.
But do take note that this supplement is not intended to diagnose, treat, or prevent any disease and shouldn’t replace a healthy diet or standard health care. It’s important to take the supplement as recommended and follow precautions to avoid side effects and possible interactions.
When in doubt, ask your dietitian or physician about the possible health benefits and risks that drinking nootropic supplements yields.