Vitamins D3 and K2 are crucial to ensure you remain healthy. They help promote bone and heart health and are vitamins that you should consume every day, so finding the best vitamin D3 and K2 supplements can be vital in improving your wellbeing.
Since most of our vitamin D3 comes from sunlight, many people are developing deficiencies due to the amount of time we have to spend indoors. This makes taking a D3 supplement even more critical.
Vitamin D3 and K2 have been shown to have a synergistic relationship and work exceptionally well when taken together, compared to each on its own.
In this article, we’ll provide a breakdown of the best vitamin D3 and K2 combination supplements on the market. We also answer some common questions posed about these supplements.
- Top 5 Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplements
- Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements – The List
- Why Should You Take D3 & K2 Together?
- How We Chose Our Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplements
- Who Should Supplement Vitamin D & Vitamin K?
- Amount of D3 and K2 in Each Product (mcg and IU)
- Dosage and Safety
- Factors To Consider When Choosing a D3 and K2 Supplement
- D3 & K2 Calculator: How Much Do You Need Daily?
- Vitamin D3 and K2 Calculator
- Testimonials and Reviews
- Absorption and Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements
- Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements FAQs
- Final Thoughts
- Further Reading
Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements – The List
Coming in as our best overall choice for K2 and D3 supplements are Live Conscious’s K2 + D3 capsules.
Each softgel tablet contains 0.125 mg of vitamin D3 and 0.1 mg of K2. These amounts are both more than the recommended daily serving of these vitamins that you should ingest, making them packed full of the essential nutrients you need.
The type of vitamin K2 used is MK-7 and not MK-4. This in itself has its advantages and disadvantages.
While we need both MK-4 and MK-7, research has shown that MK-7 is slightly better at promoting and creating healthy bones, as well as improving heart health.
The Live Conscious K2 + D3 supplements are also gluten, soy, dairy, preservative, and shellfish-free. Not only is this better for you, but opens them up to a larger group of people, too. No more worry about whether you might have an allergic reaction when taking your favorite vitamin pills.
Live Conscious K2 + D3 sells for just under $25 per bottle of 60 soft gel capsules. They also have plenty of special offers if you’re willing to buy in bulk and stock up on your supplements ahead of time.
- Vitamin K2 in the form of MK-7
- Soft gel capsules more fast-acting than tablets
- Doesn’t contain any gluten, soy, or dairy
- Softgel capsules may be difficult to swallow
Not only does this supplement contain vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2, but it also has added calcium and BioPerine.
Each tablet of Nuzena Solar Essence Vitamin D3 K2 + contains 0.125 mg of vitamin D3, 0.1 mg of vitamin K2, 210 mg of calcium, and 5 mg of BioPerine.
The reason for adding calcium with these two vitamins is because it has been suggested that taking it in combination with vitamin D improves metabolic markers.
BioPerine is also a beneficial addition, as it increases the nutrient absorption levels in your body. This helps to optimize the bioavailability of any other nutrients that you consume, making sure more of the beneficial vitamins and compounds enter your bloodstream.
Another great aspect of Nuzena Solar Essence Vitamin D3 K2 + is that it is gluten-free, sustainably sourced, and made in a facility that is approved by the FDA under CGMP guidelines, so you know the product is safe.
Nuzena Solar Essence Vitamin D3 K2 + costs about $35 per bottle of 60 tablets.
- Has added Calcium
- Contains BioPerine which increases absorption level
- The most expensive out of the five products
- Pills might be difficult for some people to swallow
This combination vitamin D3 and K2 supplement comes in the form of a spray and contains MCT oil.
In each serving, which consists of five sprays, there is 0.025 mg of vitamin D3, and 0.15 mg of K2. Both these amounts are above the recommended daily servings, providing you with adequate amounts of these vitamins.
The fact that these vitamins come in the form of a spray rather than a pill or capsule means they’re absorbed by the body much faster than any other option would be.
Another factor that makes this spray even more bioavailable is the fact that these vitamins are transported in a base of high-quality MCT oil. Since vitamin D3 is a fat, it’s most soluble when it is ingested with a source of fat. As a result, vitamin D3 absorption in the body is boosted, so you get more of what you paid for.
This product is vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and comes in various flavors for your pleasure. It is also small enough to carry around in your bag, and use whenever you need that extra boost of “sunshine” for an afternoon pickup.
Vitamin D3 Spray with Vitamin K2 In MCT Oil costs around $25 for a 1 oz bottle.
- Spray is absorbed quicker than a tablet
- Formulated with MCT oil for quicker absorption
- Different flavors
- MCT oil contains saturated fats
Liposomal Vitamin D3 and K2 supplement contains 0.625 mg of vitamin D3 and 0.2 mg of vitamin K2.
What we love about this supplement is that it is manufactured in such a way that liposomes engulf, and at the same time protect, the vitamin D3 and K2 while they’re ingested so they can make it through your strong stomach acids intact. This makes the active compounds of the vitamins more bioavailable, so they are more readily used by the body.
Another factor about this supplement that really stands out is the manufacturing process. No heat or high pressure is used on the ingredients, and also goes through multiple stages of purification and filtration.
This supplement is also vegan friendly and it doesn’t contain any ethanol, making it suitable for a wide variety of people and all manner of dietary restrictions.
You can get a 4 oz bottle of Liposomal Vitamin D3 & K2 for less than $25. This is enough for 60 servings. Simply squirt two drops of the supplement into a glass of water each day and you’re good to go.
- The liposomes make the vitamins more bioavailable
- Gentle manufacturing process
- Drops are easy to ingest
- Suitable for vegans
- The lid makes it difficult to take the drops
These combination K2 and D3 drops contain large quantities of both vitamins. You get 0.25 mg of vitamin D3 and 0.2 mg of vitamin K2 per serving, which is well above the daily recommended amount for adults. This supplement will provide you with adequate amounts of both vitamins, so you don’t need to worry about sourcing them from obscure and expensive fruits or vegetables.
Additionally, this supplement is formulated using coconut and MCT oil. The addition of MCT oil boosts the absorption of vitamin D3 in the body, which is beneficial, as it is more easily used.
Not only does this supplement promote heart and bone health, but it also improves your mood and boots your immune system. It will help combat the symptoms of pesky seasonal touches of flu and will keep you feeling fit and healthy.
This supplement does not contain any gluten, soy, sugar, dairy, or harmful chemicals, and is suitable for vegans.
Wellabs Vitamin K2 + D3 drops cost less than $30 for a bottle.
- Liquid form makes it easier to ingest
- Contains coconut and MCT oils
- Does not contain sugar
- Coconut oil bad for heart health
Why Should You Take D3 & K2 Together?
Vitamin D3 and K2 are both fat-soluble vitamins that play essential roles in the body. They work synergistically, and taking them together can offer several benefits:
When taken together, vitamins D3 and K2 can complement and enhance their own benefits by working synergistically in the body, resulting in the following benefits:
- Promotes calcium absorption and distribution – Vitamin D3 facilitates easier calcium absorption, while vitamin K2 delivers it to the bones and teeth, where it is needed most.
- Strengthens bone health – Since vitamins D3 and K2 promote calcium metabolism, studies show they help keep the bones stronger, denser, and healthier. Additionally, vitamin K2 activates osteocalcin, a protein that helps bind calcium to the bone matrix and reduces the risk of bone-related issues.
- Maintains heart health – When taken together, both vitamins prevent calcium from building up in the tissues and arteries (calcification) and direct the calcium exclusively to the bones and teeth. This process ensures better blood and oxygen flow and higher energy.
How We Chose Our Vitamin D3 & K2 Supplements
- 25 brands considered
- 142 verified reviews scrutinized
- 36 hours of research
We ranked the Live Conscious D3 & K2 at the top of our list because we believe that the dosage of each vitamin falls into the optimum range for supplementation.
“For example, 2,000 to 3,000 IU elicited a 7 percent increase; 3,000 to 4,000 IU elicited a 13 percent increase; and 5,000 IU elicited a 30 percent increase.“
With a k2 dose of 100mg per softgel it offers a sweet spot of this fat-soluble vitamin and falls inside the range used in many studies.
- Each Live Conscious softgel contains 5000 IU of vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol) and 100mcg of vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone-7)
Who Should Supplement Vitamin D & Vitamin K?
Signs And Symptoms Of A Vitamin D Deficiency
If you have a vitamin D deficiency, there are a few signs and symptoms that you may experience.
You might feel pain in your joints and bones, especially in your back and spine. You may experience a loss in bone mass, mood changes, muscle weakness and cramps, and fatigue.
Other symptoms include a weakened immune system, depression, hair loss, and frequent bones fractures or splints.
Signs And Symptoms Of A Vitamin K Deficiency
If you have a vitamin K deficiency, the main symptom you will experience is excessive bleeding. Vitamin K helps to make blood clots and prevent wounds from bleeding too much.
You could also experience blood clots beneath your nails, easy bruising, dark stools that could contain blood, heavy menstrual cycles, bleeding from your gastrointestinal tract, or oozing from your gums and nose.
Who Is Most At Risk For Getting These Deficiencies?
Vitamin D Deficiencies
When it comes to vitamin D deficiencies, the people who are most at risk are people who are obese, people who underwent weight-loss surgeries, adults older than 55, people who spend a lot of time indoors – such as office workers -, people who have dark skin, and vegans.
If you fall into any of these categories, you might need to consider supplementing your diet to ensure that you get the appropriate amount of essential vitamins to make sure you stay happy and healthy.
Vitamin K Deficiencies
On the other hand, infants, especially newborns, are the most likely people to be at risk for vitamin K deficiency.
Amount of D3 and K2 in Each Product (mcg and IU)
Dosage and Safety
For vitamin D3, the recommended daily amount (RDA) is based on age groups. For children up to age 12 months, the RDA is 400 international units (IU). 600 IU for people aged 1 to 70, and 800 IU for those over 70.
For vitamin K2, adults should get between 100 and 300 micrograms of vitamin K2 daily, though some people may need a higher dose depending on their bone and arterial health.
Possible Side Effects
Vitamin D3 supplementation normally doesn’t cause side effects, but a few things have been reported, such as:
- Chest pains
- Shortness of breath
Excessive intake/misuse of vitamin D3 may lead to:
- Loss of appetite
- Increased thirst
- Frequent urination
- Mood changes
- Unusual tiredness
For Vitamin K2, it’s also rare for the consumer to experience side effects, but those who have experienced a few reported the following:
- Stomach problems
Overdosing on vitamin K2 can lead to:
- Allergic reactions like hives, itching, or skin rashes
- Bluish-colored fingernails, nail beds, lips, skin, and.
- Blurry vision
- Chest tightness
- Difficulty swallowing
- Dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness
- Rapid heartbeat.
So it’s important to take the supplements as recommended by the label or by your doctors. Should symptoms persist, seek immediate medical attention.
Factors To Consider When Choosing a D3 and K2 Supplement
Here are some key factors you should consider before purchasing a vitamin D3 and K2 supplement:
- High bioavailability – A product’s level of bioavailability matters because it determines whether or not you’ll absorb the supplement’s promised nutrients and benefits; otherwise, the product could be inefficient and trigger some unpredictable drug reactions in the body
- Form – Supplements may come in tablet, capsule, spray, or liquid syrup forms, and one form may be more effective than the other. Experts say that liquids or oral sprays could be more potent than capsules or tablets, while tablets or capsules provide an easier mode of supplementation. Though ultimately, the choice of form will depend on your convenience and preferences
- Brand reputation – Choosing a well-established brand with a good reputation for quality and safety is important. Before purchasing, it is also important to check if the brand has customer reviews and testimonials.
- Price – While it’s true that a product’s price defines its value and serves as an investment, it’s important to choose a product whose price meets your budget, and you should never go beyond it to make your purchases easier and more consistent.
D3 & K2 Calculator: How Much Do You Need Daily?
How To Use The D3 & K2 Calculator:
In the field labeled “Your weight (lbs):”, type in your weight in pounds. Click the “Calculate” button when you’re ready.
Understanding the Results
The calculator will provide you with a recommended daily intake of Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K2 based on your weight. The results will be displayed in the form “Recommended daily intake: X IU of Vitamin D3 and Y mcg of Vitamin K2.”
Here’s what these results mean:
- Vitamin D3: The number provided (X) is the suggested daily intake of Vitamin D3 in International Units (IU). Vitamin D3 is important for the absorption of calcium from the stomach and for the functioning of calcium in the body.
- Vitamin K2: The number provided (Y) is the suggested daily intake of Vitamin K2 in micrograms (mcg). Vitamin K2 is essential for blood clotting and contributes to heart and bone health.
How We Calculate:
The calculator uses a simple formula to estimate your daily Vitamin D3 and K2 needs based on your weight. Here’s how it works:
- First, it converts your weight from pounds to kilograms by dividing by 2.20462.
- Next, it calculates your Vitamin D3 needs by multiplying your weight in kilograms by 10. This is based on the assumption that an average adult needs about 10 IU of Vitamin D3 per kilogram of body weight per day.
- It then calculates your Vitamin K2 needs by multiplying your weight in kilograms by 1.2. This is based on the assumption that an average adult needs about 1.2 mcg of Vitamin K2 per kilogram of body weight per day.
This calculator provides a rough estimate of your Vitamin D3 and K2 needs based on your weight. However, your actual needs may vary based on factors such as your diet, sunlight exposure, and overall health. Always consult with a healthcare professional before starting any supplement regimen.
Testimonials and Reviews
Here’s what a verified customer has to say about Live Conscious – K2 + D3
“Besides [being] easy to swallow, the ingredients are just the correct unit that I was looking for, which is 5,000 IU of VD3 with K2, which promotes bone health and calcium absorption.” – At
Jasmine Olsen left this review on Nuzena Solar Essence’s official website page:
“Where I live, I don’t get enough natural vitamin D, especially in the winter. Solar Essence Vitamin D3 K2 + has really boosted my mood and given me more energy.”
User Tonya shared her experience with Wellabs Vitamin K2 + D3 Drops:
“I bought this item because most people lack vitamin D… I could feel a difference the first time i took it… It’s easy to swallow, easy to dispense, and the absorbency under the tongue was awesome. You can’t even taste it either…”
Wade R. is loving his Onnit – Vitamin D3 & Vitamin K2 Spray:
“Wow! I have totally been impressed with how much my mood has been positively impacted by using the vitamin D3 spray. I work in education and I have noticed my mind being more impervious to the daily stresses that used to plague me in years past.”
“A month or so since I began taking Well, Actually Liposomal Vitamin D3 + K2, I seem to have a sense of well-being which I don’t normally have at this time of year.
Absorption and Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements
When considering the absorption and bioavailability of Vitamin D3 and K2 supplements, different forms such as soft gels, sprays, drops, tablets, and capsules, offer varying levels of effectiveness.
Soft gels, sprays, and drops generally provide higher absorption rates and bioavailability, with the added benefits of being easy to swallow and quickly absorbed. However, soft gels may not be suitable for vegans, while sprays and drops may have a taste or aftertaste.
Tablets and capsules offer moderate absorption and bioavailability, with the advantages of being widely available and often more affordable. They may, however, result in slower absorption and potential stomach discomfort.
Individual factors, supplement formulation, and additional ingredients can influence these factors, so it is important to consult a healthcare professional before making any decisions about supplementation.
Absorption and Bioavailability of Different Forms of Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements
Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements FAQs
Do I Really Need Vitamin D3 And Vitamin K2?
Vitamin D3 and K2 are essential for healthy bones and a healthy heart.
Vitamin D3 makes the calcium in your body more easily absorbed from your bloodstream.
Vitamin K2, on the other hand, is what causes the absorbed calcium to be integrated into your bones. Vitamin K2 also prevents calcification from happening in your blood vessels, which prevents the thinning of arteries.
Without these two vitamins, calcium wouldn’t be able to do its job, and the risk for blood clotting is higher.
Why Is It Important To Take Vitamin D3 And Vitamin K2 Together?
The reason it’s important to take vitamins D3 and K2 together is the synergistic relationship between them. They work together much more effectively than each on their own.
Taking them together helps to make sure that calcium is absorbed and used faster than it would be if you just took one.
Is Too Much Vitamin K2 Harmful To Your Body?
As far as research shows, not normally.
The Food and Nutrition Board of the National Academies of Medicine (FNB) sets an upper limit on vitamins, but there is no upper limit for Vitamin K2.
Vitamin K2 toxicity is extremely rare, and is most common in infants who are fed with formula, so adults shouldn’t be too worried.
The only adults who may need to be careful are those who may be on medications such as Warfarin.
This being said, it’s still important to remember that like with everything, balance is important, and too much of anything isn’t good. Try and stick to the recommended daily allowances prescribed to each vitamin, and you shouldn’t have a problem.
Why Is It Dangerous To Take Vitamin K2 If You Are Taking Warfarin?
Warfarin is a medication prescribed to thin your blood if you are at a high risk of developing blood clots.
If you take too much vitamin K2 while on Warfarin, they can work against each other. Vitamin K2 also acts to make blood clots so that it prevents wounds from bleeding excessively.
Vitamin D3 and K2 are more important than many people realize. There can be dire health consequences if you become deficient in either one, which makes monitoring your daily intake of critical importance.
Because they directly affect your bone and heart health, it’s something you want to keep your eye on and prevent from occurring. We recommend taking the cautious route, and supplementing with vitamin D3 and K2 before you become deficient in either one of them.
You might not be deficient but could still have lower levels of either which cause negative effects on your health.
Studies & Research Related To K2 & D3 Supplementation
1. The Synergistic Interplay between Vitamins D and K for Bone and Cardiovascular Health: A Narrative Review – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5613455/
2. Effect of supplementation with vitamins D3 and K2 on undercarboxylated osteocalcin and insulin serum levels in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized, double-blind, clinical trial – https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7436967/
3. Effect of combined administration of vitamin D3 and vitamin K2 on bone mineral density of the lumbar spine in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/11180916/
4. Effect of vitamin K2 and vitamin D3 on bone mineral density in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a prospective cohort study – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33639045/
5. Simultaneous Determination of Vitamins D3 (Calcitriol, Cholecalciferol) and K2 (Menaquinone-4 and Menaquinone-7) in Dietary Supplements by UHPLC- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8624398/
6. [Clinical Pharmacokinetics of Active Vitamin D3 and its derivatives, and Vitamin K2(Menatetrenone)] – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/27777388/