47% of those who work long hours said having an alcoholic drink at the end of the day helps them relax and take the edge off after a difficult day.
Americans’ love of booze is so profound that the average drinker is content gaining 13 pounds in order to continue consuming their favorite alcoholic beverages. This is about the equivalent of permanently carrying around 208 slices of bacon in your body. This figure isn’t particularly surprising: a study last year found that the average American drinker would even be willing to give up three years of their life if it meant they could continue to drink!
Over one in three (37%) say they deem alcohol and coffee as essential purchases in their weekly shops. Moreover, the average American spends a fairly substantial $947 per year on hangover comfort food and coffees. That’s a lot of pizzas and lattes!
While all alcohol can lead to a plethora of health problems, too much caffeine can also lead to anxiety and dehydration. Here are 5 alternative options to regular coffees and energy drinks for anyone looking for a more natural lift, and explained their benefits:
- Tetracitrene is a non-hemp-derived cannabinoid and naturally occurring compound made from citrus peels that provide a quick burst of focus, which kicks in within just 20-30 minutes. It also provides sustainable energy, sharpens concentration, and plays a role in appetite control to promote weight loss.
- Mushroom coffee, using 100% pure, high-quality, and organic mushroom extracts, is scientifically proven to yield important health benefits. Mushroom coffees contain no grains or starch fillers, just functional mushrooms, which offer important health benefits like improved function, better cardiovascular health, and higher physical performance.
- Electrolyte drinks are a great alternative to caffeine – they hydrate the body and directly provide nutrients like sodium, potassium, glucose, and B vitamins to your bloodstream. Sugar-free electrolytes contain essential vitamins, provide faster hydration than drinking water alone, and significantly boosts energy levels.
- Ashwagandha (also known as ‘winter cherry’) combined with black pepper can help relieve stress-related anxiety, promote thyroid health, and foster mental well-being. Ashwagandha is an ayurvedic adaptogen rich in compounds called alkaloids that can help calm the brain, sharpen cognition, promote thyroid health, lower blood pressure, and strengthen the immune system
- Chicory root can be roasted, ground and brewed like traditional coffee beans. Aside from tasting similar to coffee, it is free of caffeine and is a good source of inulin, which helps digestion and supports a healthy gut.